Quantcast

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Mailboxes, Shelves, and What I'm Reading

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

Somehow I've managed to maintain that focus on striking a better balance between review titles and my personal TBR shelves, with just 1 new addition again this week.



It Waits Below by Eric Red
Expected publication: September 2nd 2014 by Samhain Publishing

It waits no more!

In the 1800s, an asteroid carrying an extraterrestrial life form crashed to earth and sunk a Spanish treasure ship. Now, a trio of salvage experts dives a three-man sub to the deepest part of the ocean to recover the sunken gold. There, they confront a nightmarish alien organism beyond comprehension, which has waited for over a century to get to the surface. It finally has its chance.

As their support ship on the surface is ambushed by deadly modern-day pirates, the crew of the stranded sub battles for their very lives against a monster no one on Earth has seen before.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

With an eye towards my scheduled reviews for the next few weeks, I'm currently turning pages with:

• The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley  
This is definitely different, even challenging in places, but I'm awed by the imagination involved and really impressed by the strength of the narrative..

• The Sleeping Dead by Richard Farren Barber
Don't listen, don't look, don't hope. Suicides, strange voices, and the sleeping dead. This sounds gruesome and creepy.

• Blackout by Tim Curran 
First there comes a storm, then a blackout, and then whipping black tentacles that fall from the sky and begin snatching people at random. Bring it on, Tim!


What's topping your shelves this week?

14 comments:

  1. IT WAITS BELOW sounds superspooky and I like the sound of THE MIRROR EMPIRE too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mirror Empire has been amazing so far, Dez.

      Delete
  2. It Waits Below sounds like it would make a good movie. Or a bad horror film, depending on who does it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not surprising, Alex- Eric is the screenwriter and director of movies like The Hitcher, Near Dark, Cohen & Tate,and Body Parts.

      Delete
  3. I have the Mirrored Empire in my TBR pile. Hated to hear it was challenging. I just finish one book that was and am not looking forward to another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is challenging, but in a good way. I absolutely fascinated by just how much she's done to subvert everything about epic fantasy - the world building, the system of magic, the gender roles, etc. A stunning read so far.

      Delete
  4. I'm reading The Mirror Empire right now as well (haven't gotten very far yet). It's intriguing, but still really early so I can't say much beyond that.. Also listening to the Cold Commands, loving that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all new to me but the Mirror Empire sounds like one I'd enjoy reading :)

    My new pretties :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Samhain Publishing always has great books! I didn't know these ones but I hope you'll like them. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice bunch of books. I haven't heard of any of them before. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some interesting books listed there. Have fun with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sleeping Dead sounds like a good read. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am I allowed to be curious about all 4 of these? Honestly, great haul! Thanks for stopping by my STS.

    ReplyDelete