Saturday, July 19, 2014

Mailboxes, Shelves, and What I'm Reading

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

I've been focusing on striking a better balance between upcoming titles and my personal TBR shelves, and it's working, so I treated myself to a few October ARCs that caught my eye.



Black Dog: Hellhound Chronicles by Caitlin Kittredge
Expected publication: October 28th 2014 by Harper Voyager

The first installment in a fabulous dark urban fantasy series—think Kill Bill with demons and gangsters instead of martial arts—from the award-winning author of the Iron Codex trilogy and Vertigo comic Coffin Hill

Ava has spent the last hundred years as a hellhound, the indentured servant of a reaper who hunts errant souls and sends them to Hell. When a human necromancer convinces her to steal her reaper’s scythe, Ava incurs the wrath of the demon Lilith, her reaper’s boss.

As punishment for her transgression, Lilith orders Ava to track down the last soul in her reaper’s ledger . . . or die trying.

But after a hundred years of servitude, it’s time for payback. And Hell hath no fury like an avenging Ava . .




Of Bone and Thunder: A Novel by Chris Evans
Expected publication: October 14th 2014 by Gallery Books

Apocalypse Now meets The Lord of the Rings in a bold new fantasy from the acclaimed author of the Iron Elves trilogy, filled with "heroic action that keeps fans coming back" (Publishers Weekly).

Channeling the turbulent period of the Vietnam War and its ruthless pitting of ideologies, cultures, generations, and races against each other, military historian and acclaimed fantasy writer Chris Evans takes a daring new approach to the traditional world of sword and sorcery by thrusting it into a maelstrom of racial animus, drug use, rebellion, and a growing war that seems at once unwinnable and with no end in sight. In this thrilling epic, right and wrong, country and honor, freedom and sacrifice are all put to the ultimate test in the heart of a dark, bloody, otherworldly jungle.

In this strange, new world deep among the shadows under a triple-canopy jungle and plagued by dangers real and imagined, soldiers strive to fulfill a mission they don’t understand and are ill-equipped to carry out. And high above them, the heavy rush of wings slashing through the humid air herald a coming wave of death and destruction, and just possibly, salvation.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

With an eye towards my scheduled reviews for the next few weeks, I'm currently turning pages with:

• Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb  
Fitz and Fool are back! I've been sitting on this forever, waiting for closer to the release date to post a review, but I'm done waiting - time to get reading!.

• Plague by C.C. Humphreys  
Historical fiction about a serial killer, a plague, and a culture of excess - written by a fellow Canadian.

• Jani and the Greater Game by Eric Brown 
A rip-roaring, spice-laden, steampunk action adventure series featuring a heroine who subverts all the norms. Sounds great.

What's topping your shelves this week?

14 comments:

  1. Like the sound of Bone and Thunder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bone and Thunder sounds like it has the potential to light my world on fire. I must find out more because, wow. Blurb sold me on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OF BONE AND THUNDER sounds very original and unique and the exotic element is a brilliant touch. The cover is amazing too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh nice! I got Black Dog too! Started it yesterday and it's pretty exciting! Hope you enjoy it too!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apocalypse Now meets Lord of the Rings? SOLD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm doing the same waiting game with Fool's Assassin. You will finish before me so I will be looking to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it's fantastic - seamless, effortless, as if it'd been a year of waiting rather than a decade.

      Delete
  7. Of Bone and Thunder caught my eye on NetGalley too, I'm still debating on whether to request...it's looking awful tempting!

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure myself, and actually passed on it on NetGalley, but ended up grabbing it from Edelweiss.

      Delete
  8. I'm really curious about the first one, it sounds really good, I want to try it as well. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apocalypse Now meets Lord of the Rings? Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jani and the Greater Game caught my attention. I'm a fan of steampunk. Come see my week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete