Thursday, July 31, 2014

Interview with T K. Geering (paranormal romance author)

Good morning all, and welcome to the next in our series of interviews with the authors of Thorstruck Press.

This week we're sitting down to chat with T K. Geering, paranormal romance author, with Soulfate coming soon.

Q: Thanks for taking the time to stop by today, Tee. For those who haven't yet had a chance to enjoy your work, please tell us a little about yourself and what we can expect.

Hello Bob and thank you! I’m just this side of over the hill.

Most people call me Mad Tee and from me you can only expect insanity… I’ll just loosen off this white jacket a bit. They strap us in so tight these days.

I live in Kent commonly known as the Garden of England. I’m single and enjoying it immensely. In my spare time (about 2 or 3 days a week) I experience door to door service by the local police. I should add I've been a volunteer with them for 24 years. It was them that turned me into the nutty idiot I am today. I certainly have to keep my wits about me. They have an answer for everything. In fact I based a couple of the characters in my books on them.

Q: The journey from 'aspiring' to 'accomplished' can be a long one, even in the era of small presses and digital publishing. When did you begin writing, and what has the journey to publication been like?

I started writing short stories in my teens just for self-satisfaction. Then in 2010 I started to write seriously and completed three books within a year.

I bought the Writers and Artists Year Book and began at *A* and finished at *Z*. I had many *thanks but no thanks* and ended up with a drawer full of rejections. Then out of the blue, I was asked to interview a new publisher by an author site I belonged to. Unbeknown to me they were checking me out and asked to publish my books. As they say the rest is history.

Q: In terms of writing, what comes easiest for you, and where do you struggle the most? Is it the title? The first paragraph? The last chapter? The cover blurb?

The storyline is usually buzzing around in my head for a while and then its words on paper with no problem. The title does seem to get changed continually as the story progresses. The cover blurb drives me nuts. Have I done too little, too much? Does it capture the storyline?

Q: Sometimes, characters can take on a life of their own, pulling the story in directions you hadn't originally anticipated, especially when developing a series that touches on multiple genres. Were there any twists or turns in your writing that surprised you, or really challenged your original plans for the story?

The current WIP started out as a fantasy and ended up in the crime genre. My characters completely took over and I went along for the ride, both fascinating and totally crazy. The characters write far better than I do anyway - also there will now be a completely different ending.

Q: Wow, a complete genre shift - those are some demanding characters! When writing, do you ever consider how a reader or reviewer will react, or do you write solely for your own satisfaction?

It’s always great when we get good reviews because our life’s blood goes into each story and we sweat blood and tears over each and every chapter. I write because I literally can’t stop and if readers enjoy my work that’s great. Before I changed publishers I was commissioned to write a true crime on an American tragedy. At first I said no because it was too sensitive, then in the next breathe I just had to say yes because I was mentally writing it as *a fly on the wall* It ripped the guts out of me and I shed buckets of tears but I just couldn't stop writing it. It’s still under the editing stage, but feedback from a couple of author friends has been extraordinary and the previous publisher was astounded at my change of writing skills so clearly it will be a winner.

Q: In terms of reader reactions, what is the strangest or most surprising reaction to your work that you've encountered to -date?

Easy peasy this one. My books were written for the YA market but so far, readers of adult fiction have favoured it. Some of the reviews are exceptional and I was astounded when comparisons were made to J. K. Rowling and Jean Auel.

Q: Not bad company to be in at all! To turn from pen to page for a moment, is there a particular author who has influenced or inspired your writing? Somebody who either made you want to write in the first place, or who just refreshes your literary batteries?

Oh Jane Austen every time. It’s the romantic in me. I just love that historical era of romance.

Q: Assuming you had total creative control over the production, who would you cast as the leading roles, were your work to be optioned for the big screen?

Well my previous publisher informed me that they wanted to have the Erasmus series turned into a film so I already have some idea. I see Erasmus (a time travelling lover with attitude) played by Richard Armitage; an English actor who starred as Thorin Oakenshield in the feature film trilogy adaptation of The Hobbit.

For English fans, who can forget him as the moody seductive Guy of Gisbourne in love with Maid Marian in the Robin Hood TV series? Sighs!!

I see Shasta (a quiet demure but stunning young woman) played by someone like Emma Stone or Diana Agron both naturally beautiful women.

Q: Before we let you go, what can we look forward to from you next? Is there another story yet to be told in your latest world, or perhaps something completely different on the horizon?

The current WIP is steaming ahead. As I said previously the characters are writing it for me so no problem there. There is also another partly written in the Erasmus series which is set in medieval times. My fans of Erasmus are chomping at the bit for that one and I have advanced orders lol.  At some point the American tragedy will be published I guess.

Thank you for the interview Bob I have enjoyed it immensely. It’s time now to tighten up the straps on my white jacket and go back to the padded room. Ciao for now.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

About the Author

I started to write initially in my teens for amusement but began to write seriously about five years ago. I didn’t chose to write fantasy it chose me…

In the past I have lectured to ‘A’ level and Performing Arts students on creative writing. It became an extremely interesting sideline and gave a natural break from editing, reviewing and writing.

Whilst sitting in my garden amongst the Shasta daisies one hot balmy summer evening, I idly watched a spider spinning a web. I was intrigued by the intricate structure, and ease of his accomplishment.  A storyline formed in my mind and I began making notes. My mind was racing, and my fingers were loaded with words. A couple of glasses of red wine and Shasta was born. I then realised there was a sequel lurking within. Another character introduced himself as Erasmus a time travelling lover with attitude. My quick fingers helped him to achieve his time travelling and within a year the trilogy was complete.

Whilst interviewing a publisher for the writing group I belonged to, I was both shocked and delighted to hear that they were head hunting me for publication of my books. The rest as they say …… is history. My writing style has been compared to J.K. Rowling and Jean M. Auel, and my books are now sold worldwide.

Tee Geering writes paranormal romance and is a previously published author.


αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

About the Book

Soulfate by  T K. Geering
Coming soon from Thorstruck Press

Shasta's life takes a supernatural turn when she meets a stranger in her tiny village. Her newly adopted stray cat is hostile toward the enigmatic Erasmus, betraying the paranormal essence of her feline companion.

Naive, unprepared for love or a soulmate from the past and future, Shasta is plunged into a reality where realms warp and meld, and where she is their conquest.

When the soul and fate collide, Shasta falls in love with her soulfate.

4 comments:

  1. Another excellent interview by Bob. Looking forward to your crime novel Tee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really interesting interview, Tee. I thought I knew you and your writing well, but it turns out there's lots still to learn about both. I've enjoyed reading this very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful interview, lovely person, super writer! What a blessed combination

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely interview with a lovely person.
    Nice one Tee.

    ReplyDelete