Friday, June 27, 2014

Interview with Jo Sexton (Romantic Suspense author)

Good morning all, and welcome to the next in our series of interviews with the authors of Thorstruck Press.

This week we're sitting down to chat with Jo Sexton, author of Rich Girl, the first in her romantic suspense series, The Saucy Girl.

Q: Thanks for taking the time to stop by today, Jo. For those who haven't yet had a chance to check out The Saucy Girl series, please tell us a little about yourself and what we can expect.

Thanks for having me. I’m an Australian romance writer who tries to fit in writing love stories, between being a mother and working. What to expect? Adult fairy tales that hopefully get the reader caught up in the story. I’m a sucker for a good romantic story so when I write that comes through.

Q: The journey from 'aspiring' to 'accomplished' can be a long one, even in the era of small presses and digital publishing. When did you begin writing, and what has the journey to publication been like?

I started writing seriously in 2008. I started my writing journey with Rich Girl, which was very rough at first. I then joined authonomy, and received a review from a Harper Collins editor. They gave me a good review and this gave me the courage to look for someone to publish my work. Before joining Thorstruck Press, I was published by Taylor Street Books. This came about after I won a poll for best chapter of the month. I was with them for several years, until they decided to shut down, this was when Thorstruck Press took me on. It has been an exciting journey with my new publisher and I feel positive about my writing future with them.

Q: In terms of writing, what comes easiest for you, and where do you struggle the most? Is it the title? The first paragraph? The last chapter? The cover blurb?

Titles, first chapters and last chapters are the easiest. I struggle with the middle of a book sometimes, I have a beginning and know where I want to go but I’m not always sure how to get there. Inspiration usually comes eventually though. I also don’t like writing blurbs and synopsis. I end up rambling when trying to condense the story.

Q: Sometimes, characters can take on a life of their own, pulling the story in directions you hadn't originally anticipated, especially when developing a series that touches on multiple genres. Were there any twists or turns in your writing that surprised you, or really challenged your original plans for the story?

I mostly follow the plan I have for a book. On occasion I will be thinking about a story that I need direction for and an idea will pop into my mind and then the story forms itself. This can be in the form of a character wanting to pull me a certain way, it can also be the twist in the story that I needed.

Q: When writing, do you ever consider how a reader or reviewer will react, or do you write solely for your own satisfaction?

I write mostly for my satisfaction, I go where the story takes me. When editing I think more about the reader and reviewer, making sure it will be what the reader would like and that I have a swoon worthy male that my readers can fall in love with.

Q: In terms of reader reactions, what is the strangest or most surprising reaction to your work that you've encountered to -date?

The most surprising thing is when someone loves my work and feels compelled to write a review. This is always a good thing for a writer.

Q: To turn from pen to page for a moment, is there a particular author who has influenced or inspired your writing? Somebody who either made you want to write in the first place, or who just refreshes your literary batteries?

Paullina Simons is my inspiration. She refreshes my batteries and keeps me in awe.

Q: Assuming you had total creative control over the production, who would you cast as the leading roles, were your work to be optioned for the big screen?

I have a cast for every book I've written but I’ll talk about my first release ‘Rich Girl’. Mila Kunis would play Chelsea and Josh Hartnett would be Lucas.

Q: Before we let you go, what can we look forward to from you next? Is there another story yet to be told in your latest world, or perhaps something completely different on the horizon?

Rich Girl is the first in a series. The next three books are coming soon, as are my fantasy romance and a gir/girl romance, all being published by Thorstruck Press soon. I then have another in the current saucy girl series that is almost ready to go. I have a few that I've started that need to be finished. They all have the romance side of things but are unique in their own way.

Sounds like you are going to be busy! Thanks for joining us!

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

About the Author

Jo Sexton is an Australian romance writer and mother of two. She always dreamed of writing novels and has been an avid reader most of her life. In between being a mum and writing, she runs a small bookkeeping business. Published with Night Publishing in 2011 Jo's novel Spoilt quickly shot up the Amazon charts, fast becoming a bestselling novel around the world. Jo also recently become a qualified florist.


αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

About the Book

Rich Girl
by Jo Sexton

Chelsea Summerville has a stalker who is kidnapping and murdering women resembling her, just to carve them up with a message. Judged unfairly by the sociopath Chelsea fears for her life.

The murders sting Detective Lucas Huson's raw nerves. In order to save Chelsea they become partners, intimate partners. Lucas recalls the past, determined to prevent the mayhem unfolding, and this time to stop a killer before he loses the woman he loves.

Chelsea is hunted, passion blurs lines, and drama ensues. Romantic suspense follows the knotted curve of love whilst she is pursued by madness. There's a fine line between love, obsession, and hate.

8 comments:

  1. Bob's the man! Another fantastic interview. Jo you forgot to mention this novel was a bestseller for months. Lovely interview, demure and quite sweet. Congrats on becoming a florist and best of luck with your new release

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely interview with an expert writer. I read the book under it's original title Spoilt and it was truly unputdownable! Jo's an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a busy lady!

    Bob - Another great interview! Thanks for letting us find our more about Jo and what makes her tick.

    Jo - I loved "I struggle with the middle of a book sometimes"! Don't we all! Pleased to see you're now a qualified florist. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo, what a top mädchen you are!! Great interview :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely interview, Jo. So nice to get to know you better. The very best of luck with your re-release.

    ReplyDelete