Saturday, May 31, 2014

Mailboxes, Shelves, and What I'm Reading

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

Still keeping the review pile in check, but I was offered some weird fiction, strange tales, and erotic horror that I couldn't refuse:

Shadows & Tall Trees: 6 edited by Michael Kelly 
Published May 20th 2014 by Undertow

Shadows & Tall Trees is the flagship publication of Undertow Publications (UP), a small press based near Toronto. In 2010 and 2013 the journal was a finalist for the British Fantasy Award for Best Periodical/Magazine. Peter Straub has called Shadows & Tall Trees “A beautiful and courageous journal.” Stories published in Shadows & Tall Trees have been selected for reprint in The Best Horror of the Year; The Best British Stories; The Year’s Best Dark Fantasy & Horror; Imaginarium: The Best Canadian Speculative Writing; The Year’s Best Australian Fantasy & Horror; and Wilde Stories: The Best Gay Speculative Fiction. Many notable authors have graced the pages of Shadows & Tall Trees, including Robert Shearman, Steve Rasnic Tem, Alison Moore, Nicholas Royle, and Nina Allan.


Infection & Rubberwerks by Lyka Bloom
Published October 9th 2013 & January 17th 2014 by Smashwords Edition

Infection: When Julia Dane is hired to locate a lovely attorney's missing step-sister, she finds herself drawn into a world of bondage and supernatural terror.

Rubberwerks: A group of young American tourists discovers an abandoned building in the Mexican jungle. Within, they discover a threat that promises intense pleasure at the sacrifice of their minds and bodies. Filled with rubbery transformations and erotic horror!


Fateful Encounters by Vovo Verdan
Published May 6th 2014 by Melange Books

As far as twenty three year old Glen Verne was concerned, the crime was committed for all the right reasons. But unfortunately, the authorities didn't agree.

Throughout our lives we encounter people who affect us in very different ways. Sometimes the encounter leads us down a path we would rather not have traveled – sometimes, however, it's just the path we needed.

Glen Verne is a complicated twenty three year old man. He works a dead-end job and any form of excitement is always welcome. He has had his fair share of misfortune in life, and it is this misfortune that has shaped him as a person. He has also had his fair share of good fortune, but as Glen Verne discovers, bad decisions will subjugate good fortune every single time - especially when so many fateful encounters are involved.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

With an eye towards my scheduled reviews for the next few weeks, I'm currently turning pages with:

Between Jack Bauer and Turk Mako, it's a bad month to be a drone! Seriously, I'll be hosting a review and giveaway this week so be sure to stop ny.

• The White Towers by Andy Remic
The Iron Wolves have been sentenced to death by insane King Yoon. If this is even half as good as the first, it'll be awesome

• A Turn of Light by Julie E. Czerneda
With the second Night's Edge book due for release in November, it's long since past time I get cracking on Julie's first fantasy effort. Stunning so far.

What's topping your shelves this week?

13 comments:

  1. Oh hell, I forgot about The White Towers. I had planned on reading that this month. The first book had some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost forgot about it myself. For some reason I had it down as a July release. Off to an interesting start!

      Delete
  2. I need to get round to reading some Andy Remic! I hope you enjoy it.

    My StS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of any of these before. They sound... interestingly strange! I hope you enjoy them all. :D

    Under The Mountain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm really intrigued by the first cover. I didn't know any of your books but I hope you'll like them all. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great haul! Shadows & Tall Trees looks fantastic, I've just bought myself a copy after seeing it here as I'm loving short stories at the moment. The Iron Wolves is somewhere on my TBR waiting to be read which is why I didn't snag a copy of the White Towers, heard lots of good things so I need to read it soon obviously! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Look forward to seeing what you think of the collection as well. As for The Iron Wolves, that was a lot of fun - one of my favorite reads from last year.

      Delete
  6. OOh nice haul!! As usual, these are all new to me reads but they look exciting! Hope you enjoy them all!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still debating whether or not I want to continue with the Iron Wolves series, so I'm looking forward to see your review of The White Towers. Glad to hear it's off to an interesting start!

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it definitely has that 'middle' book feel, but I'm enjoying it. Some nice backstory for the Wolves, and the elf rats are fantastic creation, even if their sorcerer lacks the over-the-top antics of Orlana.

      Delete
  8. I had mixed feelings about the first Pratchett and Baxter book. This is my second time to try book two. Thanks for visiting. Haven't seen any of your books before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "weird fiction, strange tales, and erotic horror" are things I have no trouble resisting. I do hope you enjoy them though. Came see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another nice mailbox.

    ENJOY your books.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete