Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Waiting On Wednesday - Koko Takes a Holiday by Kieran Shea

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:

Koko Takes a Holiday by Kieran Shea
Paperback, 400 pages
Expected publication: June 10th, 2014 by Titan Books

Five hundred years from now, ex-corporate mercenary Koko Martstellar is swaggering through an easy early retirement as a brothel owner on The Sixty Islands, a manufactured tropical resort archipelago known for its sex and simulated violence.

Surrounded by slang-drooling boywhores and synthetic komodo dragons, Koko finds the most challenging part of her day might be deciding on her next drink. That is, until her old comrade Portia Delacompte sends a squad of security personnel to murder her.

This is a book I've been waiting for since last July, when io9 offered up a sneak peak at the book with an extended excerpt. Something about it just caught my attention, and early summer seems like the perfect time to get lost in the world of Koko.

5 comments:

  1. That's looks like an exciting read! Great pick!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure I would pick this one up based on the summary, but it definitely looks different. I hope you love it!
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Initially I was like, this doesn't really look like my kind of thing...then I saw "Surrounded by slang-drooling boywhores and synthetic komodo dragons"...sounds bizarre enough to make me take a second look! Thanks for dropping by my WoW :D

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely a rather "out-there" read! Although it sounds very exciting, and does have a strong female lead, I don't know about the brothel thing.....still, I might just try it anyway. The "slang-drooling boywhores" have...ahem....caught my attention.....

    Thanks for dropping by and commenting on my WOW!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed this one on io9, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete