Saturday, April 26, 2014

Mailboxes, Shelves, and What I'm Reading

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

With a towering review pile before me I've (almost) managed the resist the allure of new review titles this week, with just one two new additions:

Shadows & Dreams by Alexis Hall
ebook, 362 pages
Expected publication: June 16th 2014 by Riptide Publishing

Second rule in this line of business: be careful who you kill.
My name's Kate Kane. And right now, I don't know which is more dangerous: my job, or my girlfriend. My job makes me the go-to girl for every supernatural mystery in London. My girlfriend's an eight-hundred-year-old vampire prince. Honestly, I think it's probably a tie.

A few weeks ago, I was hired for a simple missing person case. Next thing I know, I'm being arrested for murder, a vampire army is tearing up London, and even my dreams are out to get me. Something ancient, evil, and scary as hell is on the loose and looking for payback. The vampires are in chaos, the werewolves are culling everything, and the Witch Queen can't protect everyone.

Which means it's down to me. And all I've got to hold back the shadows is a stiff drink, a quirky sidekick, my creepy ex-boyfriend, and the woman who left me for a tech startup. It's going to be another interesting day.


Barking Benjamin: Kids' Stories Not For Kids by Gareth Barsby
Kindle Edition, 152 pages
Published February 13th 2013 by Amazon Digital Services, Inc

Remember the stories from your childhood? Remember the fairy tales, the cartoons, and the talking animals? What if they were real? And what if there was more to their worlds than you knew?

Gareth Barsby (The Werewolf Asylum) offers this anthology of childish stories with a darker twist. A teenage wolf fears the dreaded “Hood”. A rat learns about the seedier side of showbiz. A biker finds a talking alligator invading his home. A man with a strange power seeks the Ring of Charlemagne.

And what do all these heroes have in common? They are all being observed by Barking Benjamin, a cartoon dog who wants the halcyon days of his past to return…


I did, however, snag some Kindle freebies/cheapies:

Bank Owned by J. Joseph Wright
Kindle Edition, 69 pages
Published January 4th 2013 by JKWright Publications

Rumors have persisted about the big house at the end of Pebble Creek Road for years. People say it's a black hole. New occupants move in, never to be seen or heard from again. There are other rumors, too. Rumors residents in the tiny community of Vernonia, Oregon, are afraid to repeat. Locals call it the Castle. Brian and Angela Mason call the foreclosure the home of their dreams. A place to start a family. A place to grow old. Little do they know, it's also a place to die.


Pale Hunter by C.J. Sellers
Kindle Edition, 56 pages
Published February 22nd 2014

Set in 1666, a pair of European traders make first contact
with something unexpected.
Terrified, they attempt to flee back to the forts of New France.
Even if they make it, will they be safe there?
Can anyone protect them from the wrath of the manitou?


Ruby Celeste and the Ghost Armada by Nicholas J. Ambrose
Kindle Edition, 238 pages
Published March 20th 2013

Prepare to enter a dangerous place—the world of sky pirates!

After arriving at The Pharmacologist’s Eden, a grand floating port run by the cut-throat Rhod Stein, Ruby Celeste discovers the deckhand she arranged to purchase has been sold out from under her and replaced with a man kidnapped from the world’s surface. So after dispatching his guarding henchmen, she snatches him and then flees—but not before blowing a gaping hole in the SkyPort.

But unbeknownst to Ruby, Stein survives the blast. And along with the assassins now hot on her tail, she has other problems to contend with: the frail man she kidnapped and his newfound place on her ship, a pervasive series of dangerous electrical malfunctions—and what about the diary she finds on a derelict ship? Are its pages filled with the deranged words of a madman—or does it really hold the key to finding the mysterious Ghost Armada?

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

With an eye towards my scheduled reviews for the next few weeks, I'm currently turning pages with:

Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson
A good, solid fantasy, pretty much what I was hoping for, and flowing much better with the hardcover in front of me.

FaceOff edited by David Baldacci
Aloysius Pendergast, Repairman Jack, Cotton Malone, Jack Reacher, and more - in some interesting (and unprecedented) combinations.

Deadlock by Tim Curran
DarkFuse and Tim Curran never disappoint, and a ship haunted by a history of suicide, violence, mutiny and murder sounds like fun.

What's topping your shelves this week?

12 comments:

  1. OMG GHOST ARMADA has such a brilliant setting! I just love the idea of sky ports and pirates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOO Bank Owned sounds creepy. Right up my alley. I hope you enjoy all your new books!

    Mary
    My STS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to resist those review copies isn't it.

    I love the look of that Ghost Armada book. Kindle freebie, too. Snagged.

    ~Mogsy
    My Book Haul

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these but happy reading!

    Tsuki’s STS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice haul! I'm curious about SHADOWS & DREAMS. Here’s my MAILBOX. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shadows & Dreams sound good. And, isn't it hard to resist those Kindle free and cheap books? I doubt I'll live long enough to read all the books currently filling my Kindle. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shadows & Dreams looks good. Love the cover too.

    ENJOY your week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shadows and Dreams sounds interesting! Happy reading.

    Check out what we are reading this week.

    Leydy @OUaT & RCE

    ReplyDelete
  9. They all sound good, especially Barking Benjamin. Have a great week of reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice haul, a lot of interesting looking books this week, most of which are new to me. I hope you enjoy all of your books :) My STS.

    ReplyDelete