Saturday, April 19, 2014

Mailboxes, Shelves, and What I'm Reading

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

With a towering review pile before me I'm desperately trying to cut back on the new additions, but this week brought in one Bizarro title I just couldn't refuse, and a fantasy novel from an author I've been meaning to read for a while now:

Dungeons & Drag Queens by MP Johnson
Paperback, 150 pages
Published April 1st 2014 by Eraserhead Press

What happens when a small town drag queen gets sucked into a realm of sword and sorcery and forced to do much more than lip-sync for her life?

After a weird wizard transports Sleazella LaRuse to the realm of Houmak, Green Bay's number one diva must battle to save her life and protect the lip-syncing, potty-mouthed persona she's worked so hard to cultivate. Will her bones be devoured by the gnawing nipple-mouths of slavwolves or crushed by the brutal Blada Femma? Worse yet, will she find love amongst the scum sailors and slopulating sky serpents? Will she win this glamorous game of thrones? The answer is clear in the most fierce and fabulous fantasy epic ever.


Half a King by Joe Abercrombie
Hardcover, 352 pages
Expected publication: July 15th 2014 by Del Rey

“I swore an oath to avenge the death of my father. I may be half a man, but I swore a whole oath.”

Prince Yarvi has vowed to regain a throne he never wanted. But first he must survive cruelty, chains, and the bitter waters of the Shattered Sea. And he must do it all with only one good hand.

The deceived will become the deceiver. Born a weakling in the eyes of his father, Yarvi is alone in a world where a strong arm and a cold heart rule. He cannot grip a shield or swing an axe, so he must sharpen his mind to a deadly edge.

The betrayed will become the betrayer. Gathering a strange fellowship of the outcast and the lost, he finds they can do more to help him become the man he needs to be than any court of nobles could.

Will the usurped become the usurper? But even with loyal friends at his side, Yarvi finds his path may end as it began—in twists, and traps, and tragedy.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

With an eye towards my scheduled reviews for the next few weeks, I'm currently turning pages with:

Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson
A good, solid fantasy, pretty much what I was hoping for, and flowing much better with the hardcover in front of me.

• Best British Horror 2014 edited by Johnny Mains
"Too much Semtex was an obvious, beginners mistake, and I noted I needed to remove more brain in future" - best line so far. :)

• The Very Best of Tad Williams by Tad Williams
Having never read any work outside his novels, I'm quite excited to check out Tad's short fiction.

What's topping your shelves this week?

19 comments:

  1. Nice! These are new to me but sure look exciting! Hope you enjoy them!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HALF A KING would be my pick today, Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I expect to see Half a King up all over the place. Seems to be an anticipated book, ya?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to be the next big title, but I've still got Andy Remic and Robin Hobb to savour first.

      Delete
  4. I have Half a King coming from Amazon Vine. Looking forward to reading it. My post is not up yet, I am running late this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't seen these before! I can relate to a towering pile of books, I think I got about... 8 this week. I hoard books it seems. I'm okay not buying books as long as I'm not outside so... if I just don't go out... XD

    This week I visited UK's most beautiful library! Find me Under The Mountain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like my comment last night got eaten by blogger! Anyway, just dropping by to say I snagged Half a King off Netgalley this week too.
    My NG to-read pile is getting a bit big, but I just couldn't resist this one.

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked words of radiance but I don't really know about your new books. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to read Half a King, can't wait until it's out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like we are all interested in Half a King! I'm still currently working my way thru Way of Kings...savoring it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Just taking my time and enjoying it.

      Delete
  10. Nice books! :) Haven't heard of them, but I hope you'll enjoy them!!

    -Jess

    Stacking the Shelves #35

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to read a hard cover more than e-books. Enjoy your new reads!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard good things about Half a King but have never read anything by Abercrombie. I hope you enjoy it and the others on your stack. Come see what I read last week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Half A King is proving very popular, I hope you enjoy it.

    Have a great reading week!
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  14. ENJOY your week. Again, I don't know any of these books. :)

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete
  15. I stopped accepting so many review books this year because I was tired of being so behind all the time, but I still am.

    Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete