Quantcast

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A to Z Challenge: Richard Anderson

The A to Z Challenge is a meme posting every day (except Sundays) in April. Check out the list of 2000+ participants and follow along for 26 days (and 26 letters) of fun. The 2-letter code after each blog name may help narrow your choices - (BO) is Books, (WR) is Writing, (PH) is Photography . . . and, if you're concerned about those NSFW pages, (AC) is Adult Content.

For my theme, I thought I'd do something I generally try very hard not to do, and that is judge a book by its cover. Yes, this year my A to Z Challenge is all about the cover artists who give the books we know and love so much damn shelf appeal.

To kick things off, we have Richard Anderson, the man behind the stunning covers below:



It's an unusual style for a fantasy novel, something of a watercolor technique with splashes of color that blur and overlap. It's not the polished, sharp-edged illustration we're used to, but it really works.

You can check out his site here.

5 comments:

  1. They have a mystical feel to them. Definitely not traditional oil or acrylic, but that makes them stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find the closer an artist gets to reality the more it bugs me. I much prefer the more impressionist styling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for the challenge. Anderson's art is definitely not what I'm used to seeing on fantasy covers, but I agree that the style really works. I really like how realistic the images are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one for Jubile reminds me of that old computer game Myst. I dig his style!
    Dara the Writer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Bob to the A to Z Challenge! What a great theme! People do judge a book by its cover. Love to hear your take on mine, although I do realize its too late to include me in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete