Saturday, April 26, 2014

A to Z Challenge: Michael Whelan

The A to Z Challenge is a meme posting every day (except Sundays) in April. Check out the list of 2000+ participants and follow along for 26 days (and 26 letters) of fun. The 2-letter code after each blog name may help narrow your choices - (BO) is Books, (WR) is Writing, (PH) is Photography . . . and, if you're concerned about those NSFW pages, (AC) is Adult Content.

For my theme, I thought I'd do something I generally try very hard not to do, and that is judge a book by its cover. Yes, this year my A to Z Challenge is all about the cover artists who give the books we know and love so much damn shelf appeal.

Continuing through the alphabet, we have just about the only man who can follow Boris Vallejo, and that is Michael Whelan - epic fantasy legend, and the man behind the covers below:











So many of my earliest (and favorite) fantasy reads - C. S. Friedman, Melanie Rawn, Tad Williams, Robin Hobb, etc. - found their way into my hands largely because of Whelan's covers, but I think it was The Dark Tower that demanded I stand up, pay attention, and find out who the hell this magician of images really was.

You can check out his website here.

3 comments:

  1. I knew Whelan would be your W! When it comes to science fiction and fantasy covers, he is THE man. Plus horror. Did you know he did a cover for the band Sepultura that was Lovecraft inspired?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm not mistaken, I think he did 3 of their album covers. Cool, creepy stuff.

      Delete
  2. Nice. I had a guest review Way of Kings for my W post. I haven't read any of them yet but recognize the covers for sure.

    A to Z commenter
    Reading at Dawn blog

    ReplyDelete