Saturday, April 12, 2014

A to Z Challenge: Kekai Kotaki

The A to Z Challenge is a meme posting every day (except Sundays) in April. Check out the list of 2000+ participants and follow along for 26 days (and 26 letters) of fun. The 2-letter code after each blog name may help narrow your choices - (BO) is Books, (WR) is Writing, (PH) is Photography . . . and, if you're concerned about those NSFW pages, (AC) is Adult Content.

For my theme, I thought I'd do something I generally try very hard not to do, and that is judge a book by its cover. Yes, this year my A to Z Challenge is all about the cover artists who give the books we know and love so much damn shelf appeal.

Continuing through the alphabet, we have Kekai Kotaki, the man behind the amazing covers below:









Equally adept at science fiction and fantasy, Kotaki has worked with some of the biggest names in both genres in bringing life and colour to their covers. It's hard to pick a favourite, but I'll go with his cover to the Malazan omnibus, only because I think he nailed it so perfectly.

Be sure to check out his site here.

2 comments:

  1. The cover to The Pilgrims is sooo beautiful. I won't lie, I take my copy out sometimes just to admire that gorgeous image.

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice paintwork. Interesting he did one of the Fuzzy books, as I know Michael Whelon did a couple early ones.

    ReplyDelete