Thursday, April 3, 2014

A to Z Challenge: Jason Chan

The A to Z Challenge is a meme posting every day (except Sundays) in April. Check out the list of 2000+ participants and follow along for 26 days (and 26 letters) of fun. The 2-letter code after each blog name may help narrow your choices - (BO) is Books, (WR) is Writing, (PH) is Photography . . . and, if you're concerned about those NSFW pages, (AC) is Adult Content.

For my theme, I thought I'd do something I generally try very hard not to do, and that is judge a book by its cover. Yes, this year my A to Z Challenge is all about the cover artists who give the books we know and love so much damn shelf appeal.

Continuing through the alphabet, we have Jason Chan, the man behind the stunning covers below:



Two very different styles at play here, with a mix of martial and magical, but both equally vivid and eye-catching. Actually, the last two are so similar I initially took them for books in the same series, but publishers are known for sticking with a 'look' they like (which is why one of Chan's covers for Mark Lawrence came this close to being reused for Brandon Sanderson overseas).

You can check out his site here.

7 comments:

  1. I love Chan's work...I was actually surprised to find out he did Blood and Iron as well, I couldn't recognize that as his at first glance. My favorite covers by him are the ones he did for Ari Marmell's Widdershins Adventures series. The upcoming fourth book is gorgeous https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/15268257-covenant-s-end

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bottom two have almost a cartoon feel to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great theme. It adds visuals and spotlights an integral part of the publishing process that we rarely think about. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, great theme. There is so little discussion about book cover art yet it can have a huge impact on those impulse purchases. I was researching demographics on book buyers and the impulse purchase accounts for 31%. I look forward to your next postings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your A to Z theme and I will definitely be following along the rest of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE these covers. Definitely enough to get me to start a new series!

    New follower! :)
    Michelle @ In Media Res

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh those are awesome covers. I'm terrible but for me it's all about the cover. I almost never read an actual blurb and just pick my reads by the cover. lol

    Happy A to Z-ing!
    ~Anna
    herding cats & burning soup.

    ReplyDelete