Quantcast

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A to Z Challenge: Donato Giancola

The A to Z Challenge is a meme posting every day (except Sundays) in April. Check out the list of 2000+ participants and follow along for 26 days (and 26 letters) of fun. The 2-letter code after each blog name may help narrow your choices - (BO) is Books, (WR) is Writing, (PH) is Photography . . . and, if you're concerned about those NSFW pages, (AC) is Adult Content.

For my theme, I thought I'd do something I generally try very hard not to do, and that is judge a book by its cover. Yes, this year my A to Z Challenge is all about the cover artists who give the books we know and love so much damn shelf appeal.

Continuing through the alphabet, we have Donato Giancola, the man behind the stunning covers below:








A wide variety of styles and techniques here, with a very traditional look on the David Drake covers, and a very mystical look to the Elizabeth Bear titles. Great stuff all around.

You can check out his site here.

4 comments:

  1. The Shadows Fall cover is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one is really eye-catching, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. I'm not seeing the covers (on your last couple of posts) wondering if I'm missing something obvious (well obviously I am) but wondering if anyone else is not seeing them?

    Mars
    Curling Stones for Lego People

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donato has long been one of my favorite illustrators. His paintings are amazing, if you ever get a chance to see them up close and personal, take it. You will be in awe. Some of them are enormous and they look like the work of the Old Masters. He is very, very good at what he does.

    ReplyDelete