Tuesday, April 22, 2014

A to Z Challenge: Darrell K. Sweet

The A to Z Challenge is a meme posting every day (except Sundays) in April. Check out the list of 2000+ participants and follow along for 26 days (and 26 letters) of fun. The 2-letter code after each blog name may help narrow your choices - (BO) is Books, (WR) is Writing, (PH) is Photography . . . and, if you're concerned about those NSFW pages, (AC) is Adult Content.

For my theme, I thought I'd do something I generally try very hard not to do, and that is judge a book by its cover. Yes, this year my A to Z Challenge is all about the cover artists who give the books we know and love so much damn shelf appeal.

Continuing through the alphabet, we have Darrell K. Sweet, the man behind the gorgeous covers below:







Although I could have gone with several artists for this entry - Dan Dos Santos & Marc Simonetti among them - I can't imagine talking about shelf appeal and not giving Sweet his due credit. Perhaps best know for his work with Robert Jordan, he also brought about an iconic look to the likes of Stephen R. Donaldson, David Farland, L.E. Modesitt, and more.

4 comments:

  1. I have that version of Lord Foul's Bane. Sweet has been doing illustrations for a really long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the same Thomas Covenant covers I have on my shelf - I like them so much more than the simplistic/artistic reprint editions.

      Delete
  2. Those illustrations are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete