Friday, April 4, 2014

A to Z Challenge: Daniel Dociu

The A to Z Challenge is a meme posting every day (except Sundays) in April. Check out the list of 2000+ participants and follow along for 26 days (and 26 letters) of fun. The 2-letter code after each blog name may help narrow your choices - (BO) is Books, (WR) is Writing, (PH) is Photography . . . and, if you're concerned about those NSFW pages, (AC) is Adult Content.

For my theme, I thought I'd do something I generally try very hard not to do, and that is judge a book by its cover. Yes, this year my A to Z Challenge is all about the cover artists who give the books we know and love so much damn shelf appeal.

Continuing through the alphabet, we have Daniel Dociu, the man behind the stunning covers below:



The Corey covers are all of a similar theme, and they work very well together. I like it when an artist is able to connect books visually, and provide that immediate differentiation for a series on the shelf. As the first cover demonstrates, however, Dociu is not a one-trick pony by any means.

You can check out his site here.

4 comments:

  1. There's so much stored intensity in the covers, as if there is an urgency to open the books.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings

    ReplyDelete
  2. The series he did for Corey is impressive. A series needs one artist to work on all the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really rather like the Abaddon's Gate cover. I Look forward to more of your posts during the challenge :)

    Flip

    ReplyDelete
  4. I discovered Dociu's work back when Singularity's Ring was released. To this day I LOVE that cover. I used to have the image, turned sideways and without text, as my desktop wallpaper. I've always meant to read the book simply because of the great cover.

    ReplyDelete