Wednesday, March 5, 2014

IWSG - A Change of Scenery and a Fresh Start

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a once-monthly blog hop originated by our very sci-fi ninja, Alex J. Cavanaugh, and which now has a permanent home at the IWSG site. Every first Wednesday of the month we gather to connect with one another, to share our thoughts and our insecurities, and to offer one another the kind of guidance and reassurance that only another author can provide.

This month brings a chance of scenery and a fresh start to my world. The office I've called home for the last 14+ years closed on Friday, and while I am one of the lucky few to still have a job, we won't have a new office available until May. That means we've had to rearrange the house (which is very open concept) in order to create some private, quiet office space. So, for the next 2 months I am sharing space with our toddler's toy room. He doesn't quite get the concept of daddy working in his toy room, but it's working okay so far.

As for the fresh start, this move is the kick in the ass that I need. No more stopping at the store for junk food on my way to work - I'm already at work. No more being too lazy or too rushed to make a lunch - there's no fast food downstairs or across the street here. No more using the excuse of a team lunch to avoid getting out for some exercise - there's nothing and nobody stopping me from getting out for a walk (or, if the snow ever stops, a bike ride).

Most importantly, no more excuses and more procrastinating because I have nowhere to immerse myself in my writing - I now have a dedicated, comfortable, professional workspace set up in the house. I have a desk with a proper keyboard, full-size monitor, and trackball, using my laptop as if it were a tower. It's only been a few days, but I'm already making progress. There are two stories I've been trying to put together as a novella for months now, and since setting up in the new office I've managed to lay out the structure, develop the 'hook' that connects them, and (a biggie for me) come up with a working title that I actually like. As for the long-gestating revisions on my novel, I have that sitting on the desk beside me, with my revised story arc (drawn out on four pieces of legal paper) staring back at me from the wall.

I still have a lot of work to do, but there's nothing like a change of scenery and a fresh start to provide a little motivation.

8 comments:

  1. I love your positive attitude about the change. My brother works from home. I fear I'd be too distracted. I bet you're saving a bunch of money too, not having to run out to lunch if you didn't have time to make it.

    Best of luck!

    Elsie
    AJ's wHooligan in the A-Z Challenge
    co-host IWSG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saving money, yes, but best of all is not having the clear the snow off the car in the morning. :)

      Delete
  2. Working from home requires some self discipline, but as long as you have that it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, working from home can be awesome if you have the self discipline, and it sounds like you have the right mindset and are set to hit the ground running. Best of luck to you, I know you can do it!

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Self discipline has always been the problem - I'm a horrible procrastinator. Fear is a great motivator, though, and wondering how long the job will last has kindled a fire under me. :)

      Delete
  4. Now that is making the best out of an awkward situation! Yes, time to eat healthy, exercise, and write. All bonus. And you get to see your family more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has to be difficult to work/avoid-distractions under all that change. Best of luck to you during the transition.

    ReplyDelete