Wednesday, February 5, 2014

IWSG - Priorities

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a once-monthly blog hop originated by our very sci-fi ninja, Alex J. Cavanaugh, and which now has a permanent home at the IWSG site. Every first Wednesday of the month we gather to connect with one another, to share our thoughts and our insecurities, and to offer one another the kind of guidance and reassurance that only another author can provide.

Not a lot to say this month, other than to declare that priorities can sometimes be a royal pain the arse. I've actually done a lot of writing over the past month . . . it's just that very little of it has been on my novel.

On the freelance "exposure is its own reward" front, I've been busy writing a few book review columns and interview pieces for various magazines. Mostly small stuff that few people stopping by here are likely to read, but (a) it's good practice, (b) any positive exposure is valuable, and (c) it's damned flattering to be asked! Besides, there's always the chance one of those opportunities could either turn into or lead to a paying gig.

On the freelance "paying the bills" front, I've had several projects on the go. I have a business/marketing plan that I'm working on for a client, which is something I never imagined I'd be doing, but which I have become quite good at over the past few years. I also have an interesting social media project that I'm working on for a bigger client, managing both their Twitter and Facebook presence, right from branding to end-user content. That one has the potential to be long-term, and I already have a lead on a second client looking for the same, albeit on a smaller scale.

It's all eaten away at the time I have available for editing my novel, but I'm surprisingly okay with that. Sometimes the realities of life do have to take priority, and with the long-term prospects for my day job looking very uncertain, it's the freelance experience I gain today that may keep me working tomorrow.

Now, if I could just find a way to translate all this blogging and book reviewing into a paying gig, those priorities might shift a bit more in my favour. :)

1 comment:

  1. It all adds up to writing. As you said, who knows where one of those opportunities may lead?

    ReplyDelete