Quantcast

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Mailbox Monday & What I'm Reading

If it's Monday, then it must be time for Mailbox Monday, a weekly meme that provides a virtual gathering place for bloggers (and readers) to share the books that came their way over the past week. Originally hosted by Marcia, of To Be Continued..., it has since become something of a book tour, with a new host each month. This month's host is Gilion @ Rose City Reader.

No new review titles this week, but I did pick up a few freebie titles on Amazon:

Engraved on the Eye by Saladin Ahmed

Stories to Captivate the Imagination: Welcome to the worlds of Saladin Ahmed

A medieval physician asked to do the impossible. A gun slinging Muslim wizard in the old West. A disgruntled super villain pining for prison reform. A cybernetic soldier who might or might not be receiving messages from God. Prepare yourself to be transported to new and fantastical worlds.

The short stories in this collection have been nominated for the Nebula and Campbell awards. They’ve been reprinted in The Year’s Best Fantasy and other anthologies, recorded for numerous podcasts, and translated into several foreign languages. Now they are collected in one place for the first time. Experience for yourself the original voice of one of fantasy’s rising stars!

PLAZA by Shane M Brown

THEIR FIRST MISTAKE was ever telling the world about the wonders they had found. They should have kept it all a secret. If they’d kept it a secret, fewer people would have died. When archaeologists uncover the largest ancient safe in the world, the wrong kinds of people will show up: criminals, mercenaries, treasure hunters.

THEIR SECOND MISTAKE was opening it. Why would an ancient culture devote three generations to build a giant stone safe? Why would they bury it so the jungle could hide it from the world? Why ritually sacrifice one hundred thousand people to ensure its secrecy?

THEIR LAST MISTAKE proved the biggest. This last mistake hurt the most. Their last mistake was to assume that nothing had been left behind to keep guard….


. . . and, just for fun, a pair of dinosaur adventures:



As for what I'm reading this week, It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly meme hosted by Book Journey, and it's focused on what's in your hands, as opposed to what's on your shelf. I've got reviews coming up for:



What's topping your shelves this week?

16 comments:

  1. OOh nice reads!! These are all new to me but I hope you enjoy each and every one of them!

    My STS won't be up til tomorrow, so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of reviews coming. I'd seen the Dinosauria book before but haven't read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sucker for dinosaurs every time. :)

      Delete
  3. Saladin's book intrigues me most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to read his Throne of the Crescent Moon for a while now, so I'm excited to sample some short stuff first.

      Delete
  4. Engraved on the Eye sounds interesting, happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plaza sounds really creepy and interesting! Congrats on the new books. :]

    -Jess


    My StS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that was one of those surprise finds. Sounds like a fun read.

      Delete
  6. I love this meme because I hear of so many new awesome books each week! Some great picks on your stack. I hope you enjoy them. :)
    My StS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had knee surgery last week and have been reading but not buying. Loved seeing your books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ENJOY your books. Nice Mailbox. :)

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    Another giveaway on my blog if you want stop by that post too.
    Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always have intriguing books in your mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you said that this meme is focused on what is in your hand, not what is one the shelf. That's good! And true :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that comment too. Very appropriate.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad I stumbled by your blog! I'd just heard of Saladin Ahmed earlier this week. And now he's got a free book on Amazon! That's what's on the top of my list.
    Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete