Quantcast

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Stacking The Shelves & What I'm Reading

Stacking The Shelves is a weekly meme being hosted by Tynga's Reviews, while Mailbox Monday is being hosted by Book Obsessed this month (see Mailbox Monday for each month's host). Both memes are all about sharing the books you've added to your shelves - physical and virtual, borrowed and bought. It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly meme hosted by Book Journey, and it's focused on what's in your hands, as opposed to what's on your shelf.


With an eye towards my plans for the next few months, I'm still trying to hold off on adding too much to the TBR pile, but I did pick up a few new titles:

In Extremis: The Most Extreme Short Stories of John Shirley
by John Shirley
Paperback, 320 pages
Published July 26th 2011 by Underland Press

Purchased from Amazon - I ran across a mention of him writing songs for the last two Blue Öyster Cult albums, and I just had to give him a read.



Wrath-bearing Tree (A Tournament of Shadows Book Two)
by James Enge
Paperback, 320 pages
Expected publication: August 13th 2013 by Pyr

Acquired via publisher/publicist - a previous Waiting on Wednesday pick, and a key part of my second-half TBR plans.




The Companions: The Sundering, Book I
by R. A. Salvatore (Author)
Hardcover, 384 pages
Expected publication: August 6th 2013 by Wizards of the Coast

Acquired via NetGalley - a late addition to my second-half TBR plans (along with The Godborn), but I'm anxious to get back to the Forgotten Realms.



Crash
by Guy Haley
Paperback, 384 pages
Published June 25th 2013 by Solaris (Author)

Acquired via publisher/publicist - not sure where this fits into my second-half TBR plans, but it sounds like an intriguing read.




As for what we're reading, the team has reviews coming up over the next 2 weeks for:


What's topping your shelves this week?

16 comments:

  1. I'm actually reading Ender's Game. Thought I should before the movie came out and since some people have said my first book had a similar feel to it. (Certainly no similarity in storyline though!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't do it. I just can't read Card's work.

      Generally, I'm pretty good at distancing an artist's work from an artist's lifestyle. I can still listen to classic W.A.S.P. and forget that Blackie Lawless' rebirth demands that he censor his own lyrics and song choices, and I can still enjoy old Alice Cooper and pretend he doesn't spend his Sundays preaching the literal truth behind every word of the bible.

      I can still enjoy a good Harlan Ellison story and put aside my shock/bemusement at his often bizarre behavior, and as much as I may roll my eyes at some of his characters and their ultra-conservative politics, John Ringo is still a ton of fun.

      Card is just a different beast altogether. He's just too extreme in his hatred and his bigotry for my tastes, and too willing to condone violence against those who offend his sensibilities.

      Delete
    2. Card's earlier books weren't as blatant about pushing his political agenda. I can't read his more recent ones either.

      Delete
  2. You've got some very different choices this week! Hope that you enjoy them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And if you were interested, Bob - my publisher finished my book trailer this week and I posted it Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of any of these but happy reading!

    Tsuki's STS

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOh nice! I haven't heard of these but they sure look exciting!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice haul these are all new to me I'll have to check them out on Goodreads! :)

    Giselle @ Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just because of Blue öyster Cult, I wanna read John Shirley's short-stories, too!

    I hope you'll have a great week, Bob!

    Here's my It's Monday! post for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like knowing that someone else has a reading plan that encompasses more than a week. I am tentatively scheduled out through October myself. My Monday Report is here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a good week.

    ENJOY!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    http://silversolara.blogspot.com/2013/07/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-7813.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shadow Sight is tempting

    Wishing you a great reading week

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wrath bearing Tree seems interesting, Bob.
    And I love how you as a review, and I as a translator, often get books before they're published :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too, have the Sundering but I still need to read it. Looks like you have some great reviews coming up! Thanks for stopping by my my sts.

    ReplyDelete